Coming Soon to Riverside!
Here are just some of the projects that the Green Team of Groundwork Southcoast, the City of New Bedford, and other partners are working together on to transform Riverside Park!
The Blue Lane / RiverWalk
- Bridging the River walk to the North End, The Blue Lane is a cohesive designation for the city’s waterfront path from the CoveWalk and HarborWalk along the South End peninsula to the planned RiverWalk on the banks of the Acushnet River in the North End. Spanning the shoreline of the city as a signal to residents and tourists of a contiguous set of recreational pathways that allows travel along the entire New Bedford waterfront, connecting the attractions not only to local neighborhoods, but also to one another. The improvements along the waterfront allow visitors to New Bedford’s spectacular water views as never before
- The planned RiverWalk will be a 17,000-foot recreational waterfront path on the upper harbor, along the western bank of the Acushnet River north of the New Bedford-Fairhaven Bridge.
Restoring the embankment:
- The Acushnet River was heavily polluted from Mills and Factories during the industrial revolution (1900’s) In recent years the city has been trying to restore the river and embankment.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has undertaken a considerable effort to Dredge or “remove toxic chemicals and sediment” from the Acushnet River, with a target area along the Riverside Park embankment. For more detailed information on this process, click the following link:
Removal of Invasive Species:
- By using goats from local farms, the Green Team and the City of New Bedford plan to remove invasive plant species along the Riverbank, to encourage native plant growth. The goats will eat and clear out things harmful to us, such as Poison Ivy. Once removed, the Green Team can safely go through and clear any invasive trees and shrubs like Norway Maple.
Want to discover more about Adventure Walk? Click each drop pin to link to the next Adventure Walk Sign!
Click here to view the findings from your discovery of SIGN #2 in your Adventure Walk!
Click here to view the findings from your discovery of SIGN #3 in your Adventure Walk!
Click here to view the findings from your discovery of SIGN #4 in your Adventure Walk!
Click here to view the findings from your discovery of SIGN #5 in your Adventure Walk!