We provide a number of job opportunities all year for Youth volunteers
Stewardship Coordinator 2021 Job Description
Groundwork Southcoast is an environmental justice organization. We work at the intersection of environment and community by investing in youth and young adults. We do so by focusing on the three pillars of our work: Stewardship, Leadership, and Community Engagement.
The Stewardship Coordinator will oversee all of our stewardship sites, and be the staff managing our Green Team (youth employees) to work at all of these sites in summer and school year.
Stewardship Sites (50% of work):
1. Multiple food access sites: Riverside Park, Sister Rose Garden, and additional sites TBD (measure: ensure grow at least 2,100lbs of produce each season)
2. Streetscape and open space maintenance: Acushnet Ave and adjacent lots, pocket parks, and parking lots; and additional sites TBD (measure: amount of trash picked up, mi, sq ft, and landscaping planted)
3. Multiple urban trails: Peirce, Mathieu, Riverside, Brooklawn, and additional sites TBD (measure: amount of trash picked up, mi, sq ft, and landscaping planted, signs (and other items) installed)
4. Tree Planting and maintenance: a mix of community outreach and multiple site tree care (measure: # of people contacted, #of trees residents want planted, # of trees pruned and/or gleaned)
5. Resilience and Restoration sites: installing native plantings/ restoring habitat and maintaining (measure: amount of mi, sq ft, planted/maintained, signs (and other items) installed)
Green Team (30% of work):
1. Recruit and Retain Green Team members for summer and school year in partnership with the Leadership Coordinator
2. Lead Green Team at all Stewardship sites and ensure that Green Team is compliant with the handbook and work expectations
3. Daily Tracking: photos, videos, stewardship measures, and timesheets are submitted digitally/ posted
Groundwork Southcoast Coordination (20%):
1. Attend all staff meetings and meetings with supervisor
2. Communicate with Programs Director and other Programs Coordinators about Stewardship progress and observations about Green Team
3. Support volunteer and donor engagement efforts including leading stewardship tours of our sites
4. Support other Coordinator(s) in Green Leadership as needed
5. Be a part of growing our organization including being willing to do other duties as needed
- Living in/ or having experience in environmental justice neighborhoods, especially the North End of New Bedford
- Comfortable engaging with and connecting to people including youth and visitors to our public stewardship spaces
- Speaking English and a second language Spanish/Portuguese/Cape Verdean Creole/ K’iche preferred
- Familiar with growing food, landscaping, and trail maintenance
- Comfortable with working outside year-round
- Want to work at an organization that will invest in your leadership and give you the opportunity to do the same for youth
- Willing to work remotely at times and have or willing to learn basic computer skills: Zoom, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; social media posting: Facebook, Instagram, Webpage updating and blog posting
- Ideally an Alumni of Groundwork Southcoast’s Green Team and a former Crew Leader; or other team leading experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license, safe driving record, and ability to drive youth; acceptable CORI & SORI;
Annual salary of $31,200.00. This is a grant funded annual position currently reporting directly to the Director of Programs who is also the Executive Director. Employee benefits include employer payment of 75% of health and dental insurance , HRA reimbursement benefits tied to the health insurance, access to voluntarily participate in a FSA, an employer-matched 403B retirement plan, and paid-time off. This is an exempt, full-time position requiring some evening and weekend hours, and very occasional overnights (once it is safe to travel again we spend one week with youth at a National Park and/or 4-5 days at a National Summit each year).
City of New Bedford residents are strongly encouraged to apply. GWSC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to maintaining and growing a team that reflects the environmental justice communities we serve with a particular focus on: centering the cultures in our community, People of Color, immigrants, low-income, women, gender non-binary, and neuroatypical folks.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit letter of interest and resume to: Groundwork Southcoast: [email protected] OR fill out the application below (also found on this link: https://forms.gle/yaEQEg7JwJo4muXv9