GWSC provides a number of year-round job opportunities for youth, and as a rapidly growing organization, we are frequently expanding our full-time team.
Want to work with us and residents to make our communities a better place? Check this webpage and our social media frequently for open positions and job descriptions!
Click each link below to view a job description for that particular position:
- Download Job Description
- To apply: please fill out the following Google form and submit your resume to [email protected]
Groundwork Southcoast (GWSC) is an environmental justice (EJ) organization. We focus on developing EJ-resident leadership for both youth and adults by facilitating: Workforce Development, Stewardship, and Engagement. The Programs Director is a new position focused on programmatic expansion and high-quality outcomes in Fall River and New Bedford, MA. The focus will be on a candidate who excels at dynamic strategic planning and implementation, with a background in youth and young adult workforce development, and community engagement. This engagement centers on amplifying the voices of those historically excluded from EJ decision-making, aiming to deepen and develop EJ community leadership.
Workforce Development (30% of work):
- Youth and Young Adult Workforce Development: Ensure that existing and currently piloted Workforce Development programs are well-established, and work to significantly scale up and expand. Green Team: currently 11 year-round employees, ages 14-21; Green Corps/Crew: pilot launching of 4-5 year-round employees, ages 18-26.
- Build our Youth and Young Adult Pathways Model: Continue to build this model, which focuses on youth workforce development to grow the expertise to move into well-paying skilled and professional environmental roles as well as become environmental decision-makers in the southcoast and beyond.
- Adult EJ Resident Workforce Development: Investing in members of the community to further develop leadership through our paid resident leadership teams
Engagement (30% of work):
- Launch or relaunch Green Beginnings (6-12yr olds) and Green Explorers (middle school) and explore launch of other youth engagement initiatives as needed.
- Support outreach and engagement efforts and ensure that the goal of engagement is to foster EJ resident leadership
- Ensure alumni are engaged and supported
Groundwork Southcoast Coordination (40%):
- Be a key member of GWSC’s Directors’ team including driving strategic planning and iterative goal setting. We’re a young organization that seeks to be community driven: our strategy must be nimble and responsive.
- Ensure timely and effective record keeping of programmatic work including data collection and progress reporting
- Manage and develop all programs staff including ensuring weekly in-person check-ins which each direct report
- Attend all staff meetings and meetings with supervisor
- As a Director, drive the growth of GWSC including being willing to lead other projects and fulfill other duties as needed
Qualifications: If some of this sounds like you – even if it isn’t a perfect fit – you are encouraged to apply!
- Committed to racial and social equity and justice
- Living in and/or having experience in EJ neighborhoods with a focus on food, environmental, or climate justice
- Comfortable engaging with and connecting to people including youth and visitors to our public spaces
- Experienced in growing leadership through workforce development, community engagement/organizing
- Skilled in transforming strategy into project planning and implementation
- Excellent at facilitation and engagement with youth, young adults, and EJ residents
- Comfortable with working outside year-round and to lift more than 40 lbs repeatedly and directing others to do the same
- Willing to work remotely at times with requisite computer skills and also in a highly collaborative environment
- Must have a valid driver’s license, safe driving record, and ability to drive youth; acceptable CORI & SORI
- Speak English and a second language such as Spanish/Portuguese/Cape Verdean Creole/K’iche
- Ideally an alumni of an experience like Groundwork Southcoast’s Green Team
- Skilled at expanding and launching workforce programming and developing the staff training and standard operating procedures to accompany launch and expansion.
- Adept at achieving rigorous outcomes and tracking both efforts and results qualitatively and quantitatively
Compensation: Full-time equivalent annual salary of $65,000.00-$70,000.00. This is a grant-funded annual position reporting directly to the Executive Director. Employee benefits include employer payment of 75% of health and dental insurance, HRA reimbursement benefits tied to the health insurance, access to voluntarily participate in an FSA, a 403B retirement plan, and 3% of salary in a SEP IRA. Paid time off includes 10 vacation days, 10 personal days, and 10 holidays. Additionally, GWSC has something we call RestoRation: twice a year GWSC closes and gives the staff one week of rest which does not come from vacation or personal time and one week of internal work where the organization is closed to the public to focus on shifting from reactive to proactive. This is an exempt, full-time position requiring some evening and weekend hours, and very occasional overnights.
Hiring Policy: City of New Bedford or Fall River residents and Green Team Alumni are strongly encouraged to apply. GWSC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to maintaining and growing a team that reflects the EJ communities we serve with a particular focus on: centering the cultures in our community, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, immigrants, low-income, women, gender non-binary, and neuroatypical folks.
Location: Hybrid; Programs will happen in Fall River and New Bedford; GWSC’s office is currently in New Bedford
To apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with interviews anticipated to begin in March. Please submit a resume to: [email protected] and fill out this application: https://forms.gle/DfkbTSJrsjnhcMcX8 OR send a letter of interest.
Green Team and Green Leader Positions (School Year and Summer)
Green Team is an employment program for 14-21+ year olds. This pays minimum wage and is 12-24hrs per week for 6 weeks in summer and 33 weeks in school year for a total of 39 weeks. In the school year Green Team members age 14-17 are eligible for 12hrs per week. Members in Co-Ops and out of high school are eligible to be a Green Leader and work for up to 24 hrs per week. Green Team works 50-75% of the time outside in the community to grow food and improve our community and environment. The other 25-50% of the time is spent developing the leadership of Green Team members including learning about the underlying reasons we see the kinds of issues we do when we’re in the community and learning how to speak about and do project management related to this as well as career readiness preparation.
Apply by filling out this form: GWSC Green Team Hiring App